Friday 19 October 2012

Decisions, it can only get better from here.

The other day I was stuck with the decision of whether or not I was going to re-do on of the projects, that I had done weeks before the due date, and is now due after this weekend. I was terribly unhappy with it but the feeling of redoing it and time management ate at my insides. Therefore, I got others opinions and no matter what they said to me I still hated it. So I asked a few teacher what they thought I should do and the one said "well it can only get better from here." Which was my ticket to suck it up and redo it. I was determined, and once I started it again I already like it WAY more then my first attempt and that feeling on my insides faded away.

We were given a project to make a Alphabet poster for a certain target audience. The Target audience for my first poster was children. That could be put up in kids play rooms or school rooms. The objective of the poster was to help kids learn the alphabet in a fun and creative manner. While being able to compare the letter to a animal that’s spelling begins with that letter. Such as E is for Elephant. The Elephant is formed into the shape of an E, yet for reference a small hierarchy to the right of the illustration is the letter in type. Since some of the illustrations forming letters aren’t so clear as others. Such as the Z for zebra, the Z form isn’t as prominent. 

     The illustrations are clean and simple making it easy for mass production since they only use one or two colours. While the background has an upbeat light blue background the help the illustrations pop. Overall, a realistic poster that would have a realistic demand in the real worls and meets the target audience. 

This is what it looked like...


So I took my teaches advice and took my idea and pushed it further to create a fresh view on an animal poster. For my second poster the target audience was again for children, and could be put up in a kids play rooms or school rooms. The objective of this poster is to help kids learn the alphabet in a fun and creative manner. Which is why I picked a bubbly kid friendly type face and transformed them into animals most recognized with each letter. However, keeping the illustrations simple enough to be able to read the letter but detailed enough to understand what letter the animal was representing. Therefore, I coloured the inside of the letter with a texture suitable for the animal and then placed one or two elements from the animal. For example, F for Flamingo was given a feather texture with a wing and head.  I chose to colour the illustrations by hand because I thought the tactile component of the poster would attract children and help them relate. 

This is what it looked like... 

Better right?

As Graphic designers or anyone with creative instincts we are often hard on ourselves and are faced with the decisions on just throwing it out and starting over. I am a strong believer in not giving up on a design but sometimes when your finished and your just not happy with it, its better to just start over. Since, it is a horrible feeling handing in or sending out something you created that your not happy with and will have to deal with for the rest of your career. Always be happy with your work because it's yours and you should be proud. Remember, it can only get better from here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment