Saturday 2 February 2013

Wine Label Critque

Since, I have been talking a lot about the alcoholic beverage assignment, I thought it would be appropriate to show case a different approach to the assignment. By showing and critiquing a classmates assignment. Her labels are for 2 wine bottles. It is called Uncaged and refers to letting birds out of the cage. As wine labels I think the concept is appropriate and neat. It's a strong concept that can have several different approaches, and a good foundation for the other steps such as the poster and packaging. The concept could be taken to extreme measures but I like the simple and elegant approach. It's fitting for wine since the target market would mostly be woman, and what woman wouldn't want to buy something with class? It's some what hard to critique the label without it being on the bottle but I have seen it it on the bottles before so I will be doing it from memory. The white label, which is also known as the "evil" bottle would have high contrast against a black bottle. However, it would have been nice to really punch the black so that it almost looks like the type and feather were the same colour as the glass. Which, I would have liked to see on the other bottle which was the more "good" bottle, the colour could have been really punched to match what I previously said. The symbolism is nice and different then just putting a bird on the front. I also, think the font choice was perfect since it is thin enough to go along with the concept of the bars of a cage but not to thin that it gets lost in the rest of the composition. Since, the label was so simple it might be nice to scrap the back label with all the information and put it on a little tag that could be tied to the bottle of the neck. Considering, there is so little to the label on the back and it is the same size as the front label it just takes up a lot of the glass. With that being said maybe trying different label shapes could benefit the design. Maybe as simple as rounding the corners or making the label the shape of the feather symbol and and place the type over top, giving the entire label texture and having the words pop out. Yet, I know how much my classmate pushed her concept and tried different approaches so overall I think it is a very successful design, and can see it being on shelves and selling.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!!Thanks for sharing it with us..Few days ago I found a site from where you can get professional and experienced graphic designer.Just have a look Graphic Design Labels

    ReplyDelete